I've moved!

***Click here to visit Kim Fielding's Website***

New blog posts will appear on the new site, but I've also added a feed right below this message.

Kim Fielding Writes » Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Please welcome Charlie Cochet

My guest today is the delightful Charlie Cochet, who writes wonderful books and is also a great person to hang out with!


Hello all! As some of you may know, I recently announced that I was going to be venturing into other genres of M/M Romance. I started off small with Mending Noel, my fantasy Christmas story about two elves falling in love at the North Pole. When I was first published, I had already known I would be taking the plunge, though I have every intention of keeping up with the historicals, not only because I love them so, but because I have several fellas who just aren't finished telling their stories. At the moment I'm working on Book #2 from The Auspicious Troubles of Love series, I've recently submitted Book #2 to the Fallen Rose series, and Remi and Hawk's next book is a high priority. Aside the historical m/m romances I'm working on, I'm charging through my first shapeshifter series, all full length novels.

I thought long and hard about what my first book was going to be, and as is usually the case with me, I start thinking small, inspiration strikes, things spiral out of control, and I end up with a mutated beast. A few days later. I ended up not with one book plotted out, but a series of four books with a total of twelve key characters. See, I can't do anything by halves. I'm neurotic that way. I started my world building, knowing right from the beginning that I wanted my series to be different from the usual shapeshifter story. I admit I've read some shifter romances, but not many, mainly because I like it when people rock the boat and take chances doing things differently.

My series takes place in an alternative timeline but in a modern day setting. The past has been altered, resulting in a different present. This is where my world building begins. Unlike creating a completely new universe, I have to fuse the one we know and live in, with an altered one. I have to re-create history. After changing my timeline, I had to figure out who my shapeshifters are, how they came to be, and how they fit into human society. Out of my twelve key characters, half are shapeshifters of various species. The characters are part of an organization, and here's where I tend to go a little crazy. I've built this organization from scratch. It's not enough for me to say who they work for and what they do. I've broken down the organization from top to bottom, starting with how many employees work in that division, how they're broken down into departments, units, and teams, as well as what each section is in charge of and how they function, what systems they use as well as technology. This organization is key to the story, so I have to know everything about it.

One I had the structure in place, I had to equip my fellas, so I researched SWAT teams and started designing my uniforms, vehicles, weaponry, and even insignia. I've currently designed two patches. Like running any real law enforcement organization, I need to know how this place works inside and out. The amount of details is extensive. Then there are the characters. On the team there's a jaguar shifter, tiger shifter, cheetah shifter, wolf shifter, leopard shifter, and lion shifter. My research for these characters in their shifted form is no less extensive. Everything from lineage, family, genus, and class is looked up. How they hunt, how they move, their strengths, weaknesses, and physical attributes is researched. I have to create a back story for each of these characters because next to the two MC's and their relationship, there are also other relationships happening throughout the four books.

This isn't my first time world building, but  it is my first time creating this type of world and with such detail. I'm loving it, and can't wait to share more with all of you. Thank you so much for stopping by!

What do you enjoy most about reading or writing different worlds?

Charlie Cochet   


Charlie Cochet is an M/M romance author by day, artist by night, and is quick to succumb to the whispers of her wayward muse. From Historical to Fantasy, Contemporary to Science Fiction, no star is out of reach when following her passion. From hardboiled detectives and society gentleman, to angels and elves, there’s bound to be plenty of mischief for her heroes to find themselves in, and plenty of romance, too!

Charlie is an amalgamation of three different cultures: the Hispanic one that created her, the American one that raised her, and the British one that completed her. Having lived in multiple states and countries, she’s an avid supporter of gay rights and looks forward to the day when gender is not an issue. Currently residing in South Florida, Charlie looks forward to migrating to a land where the weather includes seasons other than hot, hotter, and boy, it’s hot!

When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found reading, drawing, or watching movies. She runs on coffee, thrives on music, and loves to hear from readers. You can find out more about Charlie and her writing at http://www.charliecochet.blogspot.com.

Find Charlie On: 

Facebook
Goodreads
Twitter: @charliecochet
Amazon

Charlie's Publisher Pages
Dreamspinner Press
Torquere Press

2 comments: