The Tin Box is a contemporary romance. Here's the blurb:
William Lyon's past forced him to become someone he isn't. Conflicted and unable to maintain the charade, he separates from his wife and takes a job as caretaker at a former mental hospital. Jelley’s Valley State Insane Asylum was the largest mental hospital in California for well over a century, but it now stands empty. William thinks the decrepit institution is the perfect place to finish his dissertation and wait for his divorce to become final. In town, William meets Colby Anderson, who minds the local store and post office. Unlike William, Colby is cute, upbeat, and flamboyantly out. Although initially put off by Colby’s mannerisms, William comes to value their new friendship, and even accepts Colby's offer to ease him into the world of gay sex.
William’s self-image begins to change when he discovers a tin box, hidden in an asylum wall since the 1940s. It contains letters secretly written by Bill, a patient who was sent to the asylum for being homosexual. The letters hit close to home, and William comes to care about Bill and his fate. With Colby’s help, he hopes the words written seventy years ago will give him courage to be his true self.
I am especially proud of this book. And I fell so much in love with William and Colby that I was really sad when I'd finished writing. This was a little surprising, because William's really not all that loveable at the beginning of the story. As Colby so tactfully points out, "We just need to work a little on your social skills. Loosen you up a little. ’Cause Will, my man, you’ve got a stick so far up your ass you must be tasting it."
I hope you'll fall in love too.
To celebrate, let's do a giveaway!
- To enter, simply leave a comment below with your email addy.
- Follow me on Twitter (@KFieldingWrites) and/or like me on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/KFieldingWrites) and those will count as extra entries (just tell me your Twitter and/or FB name in your comment here).
- I will randomly choose a winner for a free e-copy of The Tin Box.
- If more than 20 people enter, I'll give away another copy.
- If more than 50 people enter (I'm dreaming big!) I'll also give away a print copy of The Tin Box plus an e-copy of Buried Bones plus an e-copy of my November novella release Housekeeping, all to one lucky winner. So spread the word!
- Winner(s) will be chosen at noon PDT on September 27.