I've moved!

***Click here to visit Kim Fielding's Website***

New blog posts will appear on the new site, but I've also added a feed right below this message.

Kim Fielding Writes » Blog

Monday, October 14, 2013

Please welcome Jake Wells!


Kim, thank you so much for inviting me to be on your blog.  This is my first guest appearance ever!!

Some of my friends have recently been asking me how I happened to end up writing “A White Coat is My Closet”.  It’s hard to say exactly how this odyssey began.  Writing a book has always been one of the things on my bucket list.   When I hit fifty and was forced to acknowledge that my life was approaching the downhill slide, I thought why not start?  And so, with a burst of enthusiasm, I began the project despite having no clue what I was going to write about.  The progress was initially sure and steady and then, at about the forth chapter, I suddenly found myself thinking;    Shit, four chapters down, probably twenty-two more to go.”  I wasn’t sure that I had twenty-two pages left in me much less whole chapters.  Worse, I still hadn’t even begun to work out a storyline.  Things came to a screeching stand still.
What occurred over the subsequent months was surprising.  Despite trying desperately to give up the idea of writing a book, I somehow couldn’t shake it.  Somewhere, in the deep recesses of my mind, the whole story started coming together.   My novel is a work of fiction but it ends up describing issues that are near and dear to my heart.  Because in my real life I’m a pediatrician, I’m extremely passionate about providing health care to children in a compassionate and loving manner.  In addition, I’m a gay man who grew up in a small community and really struggled with accepting who I really was.  Somehow, the combination of those two life experiences found a voice that evolved into a story.

Borrowing from the blurb:
Zack Sheldon doesn’t have time to be lonely. He’s in his last year as a pediatric resident, almost married to the job, and busy with the joys and sorrows that come with providing medical care to children. Professionally, he’s confident, accomplished, and respected. But personally he’s too insecure to approach a sexy man like Sergio Quartulli, or even to imagine that Sergio might be attracted to him.  

Zack spots Sergio from across the gym, and then a chance meeting poolside somehow turns into a date. Before Zack knows it, they’ve become a couple, but Zack’s white coat is his closet at the hospital, and committing to a relationship with Sergio makes it difficult for Zack to continue hiding behind it. On the other hand, he grew up in a small town where being gay was shameful and he works in an environment that can sometimes be homophobic, so it’s hard for him to open up about who he is. Before Zack can make a choice on his own terms, circumstances force him to make a decision. He can continue to hide, or he can step out from behind his white coat and risk everything for love

So there you have it. “A White Coat is my Closet” is cornucopia of experiences playing themselves out in a fictional story while attempting to remain true to those aspects of my life that were fundamentally most important;  seeking self-acceptance, the wonderful and yet challenging process of becoming a doctor, and falling in love.  Hopefully, if you are inclined to read the book, you will feel like you’ve participated in the journey.

It’s also worth mentioning that because I feel so fortunate to have been given the opportunity to have my book published, I’ve decided to play the good fortune forward.  All the royalties from the sale of “A White Coat is my Closet” will go to the HOMELESS YOUTH PROJECT at the LA GAY AND LESBIAN CENTER.  By purchasing my book, you are not only lending your support to my dream of becoming an author, but are also contributing to improving the lives of homeless gay teens.  As it says in my book’s dedication, sometimes success in life starts with being given a chance.   

Again Kim, thanks for giving me an opportunity to send a shout out to your readers.  I really appreciate it!!  

Links:

To contribute directly to the Homeless Youth Project: www.lagaycenter.org/jakewells


1 comment:

  1. Jake, I loved read this. I adore stories about authors finally becoming one at a later stage of life. Writing is one of those things that age does not have to affect and can sometimes even help. Congratulations on making it happen, and I hope this is a wonderful new adventure for you!

    A White Coat is My Closet sounds like a great read. As much as we talk about being open and honest with who we are in the world today, there are so many people who are still struggling, still not feeling comfortable with being open. The romantic in me says that all you need to do is find someone who makes it worth it to take that step. Zack better agree with me! *g*

    Finally and most important, how wonderful to see that not only will your readers benefit from getting to read your story but some people who need support and help will get it thanks to you. I hope you'll be able to talk with Dreamspinner Press about putting some notification by the description about the profits going to charity, as I've seen them do for others. I know when I visit, I like to buy those books that support charity in some way. Not that I don't just buy lots of books that don't, too. I just think it's a great win/win for everyone the other way.

    Thank you for hosting, Kim!

    ReplyDelete