I've moved!

***Click here to visit Kim Fielding's Website***

New blog posts will appear on the new site, but I've also added a feed right below this message.

Kim Fielding Writes » Blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Portland, Oregon food recs

Portland, Oregon is one of my favorite cities. I grew up there and although I haven't lived there for a very long time, I still visit once or twice yearly. My family still lives there. A bunch of people I know are going to Portland for various reasons in March and April, so I've been soliciting restaurant recommendations. The list is below--I've focused mostly on places in and near downtown. If you have someplace to add, please comment!

(Oh, and my Bones series takes place in and near Portland. Ery Phillips is the star of the third book and he lives somewhere near SE Belmont.)

Casual dining downtown:


Deschutes Brewery: Well-prepared, relatively unassuming food & great beer.
Lardo: Super-duper sandwiches, great beer.
Grassa: Handmade pasta.
The food carts at 10th & Washington: Wide selection of nice, cheap food. I like the Scotsman who makes fish & chips.
Shigezo: Cool Japanese place.
Boxer Ramen: Fantastic ramen place. Cash only, boooo.
Little Big Burger: Really nice burgers, amaaaazing truffle fries.

Casual dining elsewhere:
Podnah’s is really good for brunch and for meat. Leans more toward Texas than NC style ‘cue, though.

Nice dinner downtown:

Mucca: Super Italian place.
Higgins: Classic French place. Great beer list, fantastic charcuterie plate.
Picnic House: Hip modern French/American place we loved.
Clyde Common, Park Kitchen: Similar. We liked Picnic House more than these, but barely.

Nice dinner elsewhere:
Woodsman Tavern & OX are both really great on the east side.
Screen Door and Tasty & Alder are both also great for dinner, and sort of borderline between casual and nice.   
Other things to eat & drink:
The Hair of the Dog brewery is in town; it’s very good & has a great taproom to sit in.
Stumptown Coffee does a great tasty session every afternoon at 3 at their “Annex” location in the inner east side.
 
 
Map of Portland food carts: http://www.foodcartsportland.com/maps/
A few recs of my own:

1 comment: