I've moved!

***Click here to visit Kim Fielding's Website***

New blog posts will appear on the new site, but I've also added a feed right below this message.

Kim Fielding Writes » Blog

Friday, August 24, 2012

Guilty pleasure

I have a guilty secret--a shameful addiction.

It's not books, although I have far more of them than I have time to read and most of my shelves are double-stacked with books. But I don't feel guilty about that particular habit, nor is it a secret from anyone who knows me--especially anyone who steps foot in my house.

No, what I'm admitting to you today is that I love office supplies and school supplies.

I always have. When I was a kid my dad would bring home computer paper: the green and white striped kind with the perforations at the edges. I loved that stuff. I can still conjure the smell of it. Nowadays I can't be trusted in Staples or the back-to-school section of Target. I'm not sure what's so appealing about those pretty pens, those reams of paper, those multicolored binders and notebooks. I even love paperclips and staples. I like the way pencils rattle slightly in their cardboard box. And on the rare occasions when I manage to visit this place in San Francisco? Beware! I can spend many hours and do serious damage to my credit card.

I know at least two other people who share my addiction. They're both academics, which may explain a lot.

How do you feel about office supplies? What's your guilty pleasure?

8 comments:

  1. Kim,

    I share your guilty pleasure and just tweeted about it the other day! I love this time of year and make a lot of trips to office supply stores to check out their back to school sales. Luckily, I have a friend who gathers school supplies for needy children so I have an outlet for my addiction!

    Andy Eisenberg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      You've hit on a wonderfully generous way to feed your addiction!

      Kim

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. :-)
      I like buying shoes. I'm not quite Imelda, but probably I don't need 4 pairs of red Mary Janes or 5 pairs of black boots or....

      Delete
  3. I have mostly overcome my addiction. Not easy since we home school, so I have every excuse in the world to buy all the school supplies known to man, but I'm good. I have it under control...I SWEAR!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Homeschooling would do me in!
      I did homeschool my older daughter for a semester while we were in Europe, but didn't have the time there to devote to accumulating school supplies. We might have managed a cool pencil sharpener and some nifty envelopes, however. *g*

      Delete
  4. It's handbags and wallets for me. And suitcases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find suitcases very tempting--especially since I travel a lot--but they're a lot more expensive than paperclips!

      Delete